If your home experiences flooding, you can trust that Project X Restoration in Denver knows how to handle water and storm damage. Call us right away so that we can address it, help prevent further damage and mitigate your losses. The quicker we can take care of it the better, that’s why we offer emergency response 24 hours a day and seven days a week.
When your house floods, it’s natural to be at a loss and unsure of next steps. Here are some tips on what actions you can take to help the process of getting your home back to normal.
- Call Your Insurance Company
As soon as you are safe, call your insurance company. If you can, take photographs of the damage to give to your agent. If the flooding has forced you to stay in a hotel or you’ve had to buy home repair materials, be sure to keep the receipts because you may get reimbursed by your insurance company.
- Check the Pipes
Check the pipes inside and outside your home. If you need to, shut off the home’s water supply at the main valve. If your home experiences sewage backup, don’t use any other sink or toilet.
- Check the Roof
If a storm caused the flooding, find out if your roof is damaged or missing shingles. If it’s a small area just cover it with a plastic sheet or tarpaulin.
- Disconnect Appliances
Home appliances need to be unplugged if their power source is exposed to water. Turn off the power at the main circuit breaker. Electric sparks, frayed wires, and wires that were submerged are big problems. Don’t plug them back in until it’s safe.
When In Doubt…
If you have any concerns about your safety, your best bet is to call Project X. We are used to this type of situation and utilize proven safety measures. Water damage restoration can be dangerous, and you should always leave it to the professionals. We want you to be safe, but if you take any action before you call us, here are some tips.
- Always wear protective gear. Wear boots and gloves to protect your hands and feet. Don’t forget goggles for your eyes. You may also need a respirator, which will protect you from breathing in
- Remove all porous items that have been contaminated by floodwater, like padding, carpeting, furniture, and drapes.
- Use dehumidifiers and air movers to try to dry out the wet area.
- Some items can’t be saved. Throw away all cosmetics, medicines, and foods, even canned goods, that have been submerged in water.
- Check for moisture behind drywall, and take out any damaged portions so mold won’t grow.
- Wash floors and cabinets with soap or detergent.
- Disinfect as much as you can with a bleach and water mixture.
- Make a photographic or video recording of everything you discard.
If your car is damaged by storm waters, call your insurance agent. Cover any broken windows of the car and list items in the car that were damaged or lost as a result of the flood.
Flooding in your home can be devastating, but our experts at Project X Restoration in Denver are here to assist you in recovery. We know how to handle water and storm damage, so call us immediately and let us help prevent further loss. We’re available 24/7, so don’t hesitate to call or contact us any time of the day or night.